Tuesday, June 17, 2008

16 Father's Days


Dear Daddy,
It has been 16 Father's Days since I last saw you. I remember our last Father's Day together. I took you on a date. We saw a movie that had swear words in it and we were both so embarrassed. Then I took you out for ice cream. It's one of my most cherished memories of you.

I wish you could see your little girl now. I know you wouldn't believe it from when you last saw me, but can you believe I got your hair? It's dark and curly, just like yours. It's my daily physical tie to you.

I wish you could see your granddaughter Rebekah and how she is long and lean just like you. She is passionate and stubborn just like you. She is fierce about her family and friends, just like you.

I wish you could see your grandson Kristian and how he is also a string bean. He is so athletic, just like you. We installed a basketball hoop this summer. I wish you could shoot hoops with him. He has your name as his middle name. I wish you could see how proud he is of that.

I wish you could meet Katie. She has your easy going personality. Everyone loves her. Her personality is infectious, just like yours. People love to be around her, just like you.

But Daddy? Most of all, I wish I could sit in your lap, just one more time. I imagine myself doing that often. I miss you Daddy. I love you so much, and I know I will see you again in heaven.

Love, your daughter,
Ann

4 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for being so transparent and real. That was so tender and sweet. Your father would be proud!
I am sure your children are.

Candice said...

Thank you for the reminder to not take the time I have with my Dad (and Mom) for granted. Isn't the hope we have in Christ amazing? We can grieve not as those who have no hope...

Jenn said...

Truly beautiful...

take a bow Jenn

ella*monde said...

Ann, this really tugged at my heart. Hugs to you...

Dawn